The Dragonlance Nexus

Printed From:

Bakukal, 20th day of Reapember, 432 AC
Evening Watch rising 24
The Palanthas Herald

Evil Turns on Itself

by Darcwulf, Staff Writer
Last Updated: Majetag, Fleurgreen 27, 421 AC

The Great Forest - The Dragon Highlords having gathered in the Great Forest for a council of war, turned on each other leaving the Dragonhordes in disarray.

After their loss in the battle of Throtl Gap, in which Highlord Hollow-Sky died, Highlord Chillwind, King of the Barbarians summoned his surviving Highlords to the Bone Palace. The Bone Palace is Chillwind's home rising up from the middle of Shadowmir Lake. Takhisis's priests claim the building is built from the carved bones of all of her enemies, gathered to the glory of the Goddess by her faithful.

Details of what exactly happened at the meeting are sketchy, but it is known that a band of heroes infiltrated the enemy's stronghold in effort rescue a Solamnic spy. The heroes were Tanis Half-Elven - Captain of the Windriders, Dalamar the White - a mage, Tasslehoff Burrfoot - a kender bard, Fritzen Dorgaard - a charismatic half-ogre, Kyan Red-axe- a dwarven ranger and Waylorn Wyvernsbane - a druid. Together they hoped to rescue a scout and spy by the name of Kitiara uth Matar. Brokenmoon, the mummified former concubine of Highlord Chillwind volunteered to act as guide and smuggle them in.

"Through Eli's grace and with a little luck, they made it through to the Bone Palace," said Serinda Elderwood, High Priestess of Paladine. "They were separated, Highlord Chillwind recognizing Tanis Half-Elven and Waylorn Wyvernsbane having fought them previously. He chained them up next to Kitiara uth Matar in his throne room where he could more readily enjoy their suffering."

The other companions of the half-elf and the druid, entered the tunnels and caverns beneath the palace, why, we don't know. Nor do we know what happened there, as those who went refuse to speak of it. What is known is that one failed to return. Brokenmoon failed to emerge with the others and the Herald has been told that she is finally at peace. We also know that the Bone Palace began to collapse; somehow the companions had prevented the goddess Takhisis from manifesting on this plane.

"Once the Dragonqueen was banished back to Abyss," continued Revered Daughter Serinda. "Waylorn was able to use spells to free the three of them from their chains. Tanis using his telepathic connection, summoned his mighty griffon mount Lionheart. As the four companions fought to flee the throne room, they found themselves face to face with the raging Chillwind and a fight ensued. Tanis was badly hurt, but they managed to slay the high lord with a little assistance from his son Wanderer." Both groups of heroes escaped and somehow found each other as the Highords turned on one another seeking to gain the throne of the barbarian kingdom for themselves.

"Do not think that because this battle was won," Lady Serinda said in warning, "That the Dragonhordes have gone and barbarians are no longer a threat, for this clearly untrue. We must be prepared for the minions of the Dragonqueen will return one day."