The Dragonlance Nexus

Printed From:

Misham, 21st day of Darkember, 432 AC
Early Watch falling 12
The Palanthas Herald

Portrait of a Stableboy - Relon uth Moltab

by Gerrin, Staff Writer
Last Updated: Palast, Frostkolt 12, 418 AC

Palanthas - Many citizens in Palanthas seem not to notice the hustle and bustle in the stables owned by Ulrich Hact. In the early morning hours many guests of Hact's Inn would fail to notice the young boys that hurry to ready the animals in the stable. If one of those guests or citizens would pay closer attention to what was happening in the stables then they would immediately notice a red haired freckled face boy.

"Most people just seem in such a rush in the early morning," said Relon. "I know it's early but it's early for a lot us here. Most of us also work at the inn, cleaning dishes and the main room at night. I went to bed last night at 2 and was up again at 5 to feed and saddle the horses that are owned by the guests."

A stableboy's life is not an easy one. Many of these young lads are up early in the morning and work long into the night hours. Theirs jobs not only consist of cleaning the stables, caring for the animals, and dealing with travelers but they also run errands for their employers. Also several of the older boys work in the inn to help clean and maintain it.

Relon was not always a stableboy. The youngest of nine children, Relon did not see much a future living on his family's land. At the age of 12, Relon ran off to the only place he loved, Palanthas. It was here in these same stables that Relon spent his first night in Palanthas, cold and alone.

Relon had entered the city during a fierce storm and was soaked to the bone by the time he reached the stables. Sneaking into the stables Relon found himself alone only surrounded by animals. He quickly settled into an empty stall and covered himself with hay. The next morning Relon awoke to the sounds of the stableboys beginning their morning routines.

"At first I didn't know what to do," recalled Relon. "Do I stay or do I run. Luckily the stable master, John Hendry, took pity on me. He took me in and let me work here for food and money. He also gave me a place to sleep in the inn with the rest of the stableboys."

From there Relon's love of animals grew. He learned quickly how to groom and feed an animal. Within a month of his arrival Relon was fully trained into being a stableboy. He continues to work there to this day, cleaning the stalls and caring for the animals.

"It's not much right now," said Relon. "But in a couple of years I will be ready to try something new. I don't know what I want to do but I think I want to travel back home and visit my family. It's been a long time since I have seen them."