Article written by Ambro & Uziel
The Uigan Language is the language spoken by the Uigan, horse-riding nomads of Tamire on Taladas.
Acha - Part of a ritual farewell
Ajagh - A large type of antelope
Ajaghai - A herd of ajagh.
Anda - A rite of passage.
Ardang - Unknown
Arshuk - A two-handed saber
Burya Ilquar - 'Little Ilquar'
Cangue - A torture device used on Uigan slaves.
Charvat - A giant lizard.
Huraj - ' Horax'
Hurajai - 'Cutters of bone'. Refers to multiple huraj.
Jasho - 'Monkey'
Shuk - A type of saber
Shuk yani cha - Unknown
Tak - 'Wait'
takhanshi - 'They who linger.' Refers to a child that dies before its first year.
Takhansho - Singular of Takhanshi.
Tamire - 'Fair Land'
Tamogiur - 'Land for Passing Through'
Tegin - A Uigan clan lord that answers only to the Boyla.
Tenach - 'Protector,' 'Enforcer,' or 'Friend.' Also, a position of a warrior sworn to protect a Uigan lord.
Tenachai - Plural of Tenach
Uesi Ilquar - 'Big Ilquar'
Utanka - A children's game.
Xagal - 'The claw'
Yagrut - Type of profanity
Yani shuk - Unknown
Yaquadin - A sort of ritual kidnapping of a bride
Yemuna - 'Ghost widows'
Yurt - The tents of the Uigan.
Uigan Sayings in Uigan
- "Chakta yani anchak" means "My life for my master's."
- "Ajan tu Hult chana" It likely means "My name is Hult."
- "Aki bo tumagi!" means "Woe and great pain!."
- "Akan Tsekushu!" It likely means "People of the Mountain!"
- "Acha, lord of the grasslands, master of many herds, Jijin see you to your rest among your fathers in the fields beyond." A ritual farewell to a Boyla that just died.
- "The unprotected throat cries to be cut." Means people should be ready for attack.
- "Be my eyes, tenach." followed by "And your shield, Tegin." A ritual promise between a tenach and a tegin.
- "Dry as a dwarf's eye." Saying used to refer to dried up wells.
- "Only the witless bowman starves." Saying used to refer to the riches of the land.
- Blades of the Tiger p. 14, 21, 22, 24, 26, 61, 63, 103, 378, 383, 407, 408
- Shadow of the Flame p. 39, 85, 116, 209, 319, 395
- Trail of the Black Wyrm p. 18, 50, 105
Report An Error or Add to this Article | Submit a new Article
This article has been viewed 2,362 times. It was added on June 13, 2007, and was last modified on June 23, 2008.
Information presented in the Dragonlance Lexicon has been independently researched by a team of volunteers, and original sources have been cited for each article. This and any other Lexicon articles are intended for personal use only and may NOT be posted on any other web site or otherwise distributed.